Note: Do not rely on this information. It is very old.
RagusaRagusa (Slav. Dubrovnik), a fortified port in Dalmatia, on the E. coast of the Adriatic, at the foot of Monte Sergio. From the 3rd century until 1808 it was the centre of a small republic, but was incorporated with the Austro-Hungarian Empire by the Treaty of Vienna. The harbour, protected by stone forts, is small and shallow. Most of the trade has now gone to Gravosa. Oil is the staple export, the production of wine having been marred by phylloxera.