Note: Do not rely on this information. It is very old.
NancyNancy, a town in the N.E. of France, capital of the department of Meurthe and Moselle, is pleasantly situated in a fertile plain near the left bank of the Meurthe, 177 miles E. of Paris, and on the railway to Strasburg. It consists of the old and new town, and suburbs. The old town, which contains some fine public buildings, has narrow irregular streets, but in the new, the streets are wide and regular. The Place Stanislas, from which a triumphal arch leads into the handsome Place Carriere, has a statue of Stanislaus of Poland, who lived here as Duke of Lorraine. The Cours Leopold and the Pepiniere are finely-planted. The modern cathedral, the Church of the Cordeliers (with tombs of the Dukes of Lorraine), the Hotel de Ville, and the seven gates are worthy of note. The manufacture of broadcloth, cotton, yarn, hosiery, lace, and embroidery, together with brewing, dyeing, tanning, and iron-working, are the chief industries. From 1870 to 1873 Nancy was in the hands of the Germans.
Click for more about Meurthe