Note: Do not rely on this information. It is very old.
GalatzGalatz, a town and port of Roumania, in the principality of Moldavia, on the left bank of the Danube (here 2,000 feet wide), between the mouths of the Pruth and Sereth, 85 miles from the Sulina mouth of the Danube, and 130 miles N.E. of Bucharest. The town is on a plateau, and consists of the Old Town, a badly-built, unwholesome, ill-drained part, liable to floods, and the New Town, in somewhat better condition, on the rising ground to the N.W. St. Mary's church contains the tomb of Mazeppa. The International Commission, appointed under the terms of the Treaty of Paris, 1856, for the navigation of the Danube, has its seat here, and Roumania has a representative. Ships of 150 tons can come up to Galatz, and there are flour-mills, saw-mills, cooperage works, and much exportation of grain.
Click for more about Sereth